Author: lifeaswecookit Food52.com
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bunch thin asparagus spears (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 medium shallot, peeled, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- In a small pot, whisk together vinegar, garlic, salt, sugar and paprika until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Trim bottom inch from asparagus spears.
- Place spears in a resealable container or baking dish, top with sliced shallots and pour hot vinegar mixture over top making sure they're mostly if not completely covered in liquid.
- Let sit uncovered at room temperature 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Store covered in pickling liquid in the fridge.