Pesto Green Eggs & Avocado Toast
Author: McKel Hill
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 2 slices gluten free toast
- Pinch of sea salt
- Fresh lime juice
- Drizzle of honey
- Red pepper flakes
- FOR THE PESTO:
- 4 cups fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium hot skillet, lightly grease the pan using coconut oil or olive oil. Crack open the eggs to cook for about 4 minutes. A tip I like to use is add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and immediately cover with a lid to finish cooking the egg through on the top- adjust the time to your desired yolk texture.
- In the meantime, take the avocado and spread on each slice of toast, using a fork, then mash into the toast using the back of a fork. Finish by adding a pinch of sea salt, drizzle of honey, fresh lime, and red pepper flakes.
- For the pesto:
- In a small food processor or blender, combine all ingredients for the pesto together and pulse until combined.
- Gradually add in extra olive oil as you need to get your desired texture. Add more olive oil for a thinner pesto, add more basil for a thicker pesto.
- To serve:
- Plate the avocado toast on one side and the eggs on the opposite, dollop the basil pesto on top of the egg yolks, and finish with a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Store the extra pesto and use later.
Recipe and photo courtesy of McKel Hill. For more of Mckel's great recipes go to nutritionstripped.com.